Saturday, September 29, 2012

Forgive me for being pedantic...

My respect for American conservatism took a deep plunge when I read this in an otherwise enjoyable review by Matthew Walther of Kingsley Amis's Lucky Jim:
Its eponymous hero, Jim Dixon, is a junior lecturer in history at an undistinguished Welsh college. Dixon’s pleasures are simple: he smokes a carefully allotted number of cigarettes each day and drinks a rather less measured amount of beer most nights at pubs. His single goal is to coast successfully through his two-year probation period and become a permanent faculty member in the history department.


It is well known, or ought to be, that the institution in the novel was based on University College, Leicester, which is a long way from Wales. The bit about the "Honours class over the road", a reference to the Welford Road municipal cemetery, is a dead giveaway.

Walther can be forgiven though since he reminded me of this description of Lucky Jim's history article;

“It was a perfect title, in that it crystallized the article’s niggling mindlessness, its funereal parade of yawn-enforcing facts, the pseudo-light it threw upon non-problems. Dixon had read, or begun to read, dozens like it, but his own seemed worse than most in its air of being convinced of its own usefulness and significance.”

:

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Dear Mr. Holmes,

Sorry for this howler of howlers.

Having read Zachary Leader's book, Amis's letters, etc., I ought to have known better. References to "South Wales" and "North Wales" (odd, one thinks, in novel supposedly set in Wales) should also have clued me in.

My apologies,

Matthew Walther

Anonymous said...

I quite like looking through a post that will make people think.
Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment!
Look at my webpage :: English Essays